HOW TO OBTAIN A GUN LICENSE
In India the guns are regulated under The Arms Act, 1959. Civilians and citizens can obtain a gun license in India for Non Prohibited Bore (NPB) by following the required procedure laid down under the act.
STEPS FOR OBTAINING GUN LICENSE
- Submit a duly filled application form to District Superintend of Police. The form can be downloaded from the link http://www.cpvadodara.gujarat.gov.in/Upload/FORM%20A-1.pdf or can be collected Jan Seva Kendra (Public Service Centres) available at the Collectorate. The forms can be collected from there for free of cost, Court Fee Stamps are to be affixed on the duly filled forms and it is to be submitted there only after attaching all the required supporting documents.
- The Police will review the information laid down in the form and will also check past criminal records and permanent address.
- The Police will also gather information from the neighbors and surroundings in order to enquire malicious behavior.
- The DCP or other authorities mentioned in para 1 conducts an interview of the applicant to determine whether the applicant is mentally and physically stable, the DCP in interview would also interrogate the reason for obtaining gun.
- After conducting the interview, the DCP or other authorities mentioned in para 1 sends information to the criminal branch and the national crime record bureau.
- If all these steps are fulfilled and the DCP or other authorities mentioned in para 1 are satisfied the gun license is issued.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR NEW APPLICANTS
- Two recent Passport size photographs.
- Recommendation Letter From the Authority
- Proof of identity/nationality, which may include:
- Elector’s Photo Identity card (EPIC)
- Islander’s Identity Card.
- Family identity card (Food Card)
- Local Certificate.
- Any other document duly certified/attested by a responsible Gazetted Officer
If you want to buy a gun then you can buy it from Indian Ordnance factories by filling the required forms and conditions. The forms can be downloaded from the site http://ofb.gov.in/index.php?wh=Sporting%20Arms&lang=en#Forms.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR GETTING GUN FROM THE FACTORY
- Issued license with valid date and place and should be either in English or in Hindi.
- A photocopy of the Gun license.
- One copy of the NOC for the factory owner and one copy of the NOC for Police authorities. NOC is the no objection certificate (in case if the gun license is valid across India then, there is no need to provide with NOC certificate).
- There is also a need of transport license of the place where the factory is located.
It takes about two months of waiting time for the gun to be received to the customer and in some cases, it can go up to three months based on the manufacturing system of a particular factory.
If somebody wants to renew the gun license, there is a renewal form available for them.In the renewal form, the customer is obligated to produce the weapon with the gun license, along with all the other documents which they’d already attested at the time of getting their license.
SALE OF GUN
A gun can be sold by following the required procedure
- Submit a sale application with Rs 5/- court stamp on it with attached copy of the original gun license with an intention to signify the sale of the gun.
- All the documents should be attached again which were used earlier in order to obtain gun license.
CAN THE GUN BE TRANSFERRED?
Yes, the gun can be transferred if the person in whose name the license is issued is alive, it can be transferred by making an application on plain paper and such application will be attached with form A of the person in whose name the gun is transferred
If the original license has expired than an application can be made under form A with 2 passport size photographs and no objections from the legal heirs.
CANCELLATION OF LICENSE
The license can be cancelled if a person in the course of getting the license suppresses or doesn’t convey facts for obtaining the gun license and can also suspended the license for particular period of time. The license can also be suspended if the license officer is satisfied that owner of the gun has violated certain provisions.
GRANT OF ARMS LICENCES UNDER FAMILY HEIRLOOM
The license of the existing licensee can be transferred to his/her legal heir if the licensee holds the license for more than 25 years and have attained the age of 70 years or more. The transfer of weapon can only be affected if the legal heir is eligible to obtain a license. After the death of the licensee the license automatically transfers to the legal heirs.
License can be transferred to person other than the legal heirs if the legal heirs have no objection with respect to transfer of license.